Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Doing

I had the opportunity of talking to my 14 year old cousin about being safe on the Internet. I choose her because I really care about her and I know that she has had some negative influences in the past. Fortunately, as I spoke to her I was convinced that she was careful about what she did on the Internet. I first talked to her about how she needed to make sure she was not giving out important information about herself to anyone on line because she has no way of knowing who she is "REALLY" talking to. There are some real sick people out there who just want to take advantage of people and she needs to be as far away from them as possible. I also told her to be very careful about what kind of pictures she may be posting on her facebook. I told her not to post anything that may embarrass her in the future because once something is on the web it will always remain there. I also wanted her to know how addicting the Internet can be. I told her that she needs to limit the time she spends on the Internet and spend more time doing more productive things. I asked her to try and use the Internet mostly for informational purposes and not chatting or wasting time. She assured me that she was going to be smart when using the interenet and only communicate to those she already knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment